Hit +1

Hey guys!! If you like this blog please hit the +1 button on the left... Its for a contest. The more number of hits, better the chance of us winning!

Sunday 20 October 2013

Firefox - Take the Fox, spread the Fire!

Registrations said 8.00 - 9.00 am. And so, I had to leave home by 6.30 for the two hour ride. I wish I could say, "The early-morning wake up call was compensated by the scenic view of the lake near my place." Well, the lake truly was splendid because I couldn't see nothing of it! Obviously, at 6.30 in the morning there's zero visibility folks! Mist and fog everywhere. Ideal time for a smoke-ring. Mind you, a 'smoke-ring' and not a 'smoke'. ;)


 After an uneventful journey, I reached my destination, the erstwhile M S Ramiah Institute of Technology. When the whole of Bangalore is sleeping, you can just whiz through the city as if it were it a race circuit, trust me! No traffic-lights, no cops. No autos too! (Very irritating they are.) To find the correct block at the deserted and massive college took me some time and to my luck, there were only a handful of people in the laboratory assigned. My logic was - with larger people around, I'd make a larger fool of myself. Smaller the crowd, lesser the embarrasment.  Yes people, I had landed myself at the Firefox OS AppDays event without a single clue as to what app I would be making!


 
So, What's all the fuss about Firefox OS? 

First things first. Firefox is a mobile operating system(OS) and as Jai Pradeesh puts it, its the most happening OS.

 "Its open and you have the power to make it better."

He believes that though there are major and established players like Android and iOS in the smart-phone market, FirefoxOS (once launched) will create a major impact in the field owing to its amazing features. 
  • The whole thing is powered by HTML5 – it’s all about escaping Google and Apple’s walled gardens and frolicking freely in the wilds of the open web.
  • Half the code is written by volunteers like you and me. Isn't that something great? 
  • At Firefox OS, you create web-apps and not normal the usual apps. Web apps have the flexibility to run on low processor requirements, thereby considerably reducing the cost of your handset.
  • Firefox OS has the capability of running on low end phones due to the above said factor. Who doesn't like a cheap but trendy phone? :)


Well you can find all these on the net, but what really impress me about the Mozilla Foundation are just two things. Their ideology and their commitment.
Their ideology, as in "making web open" is truly amazing. Also, its a patron of the Open Source community which is always better. I believe in one of my own quotes: 


  "Never trust a code you can't see."

And about their commitment, I'm speechless! The Mozilla community is one of the largest Open Source groups in the world I've seen and the best part is that they have a great deal of respect towards the cause. And did I just miss that they are brainy? My goodness, each volunteer at Mozilla has a story behind him which makes you salute them. The talent pool that Mozilla has generated is truly awesome.



Enough said! What did I do?During the course of the introduction, an idea flashed! It was about a gift app. Gifts, birthdays and management! The idea is to make the whole process of gifting your loved ones, easier and effective. So, I shared my idea with one of the volunteers, Saikiran Chandha who helped me formalize the app idea and also told me a lot about how to really make it work! He literally sat down with us, went through our logic, voiced differences and finally set up an action plan.

Photo
In conversation with Saikiran


My faithful friends Vignesh and Rahul stuck to me till the very end, answered my naive questions and even complemented the idea! I finally made some sense of Rahul's user interface ideas and we were done with the app. I'm not letting you into the finer details of the app not because its confidential, but because this post is about the Fox, and let it stay that way. Nevertheless, I will tell you this one thing. The app-making was one helluva experience! Now that I think of it, the restriction of Facebook at the venue was a boon as it enabled everyone to work without distractions.

Photo: GiftR app demo. :)
App Demo with Rahul
Credits: Galaxy




There were other interesting innovations like Multimedia app, IMDB app, a Search Engine app, Rotten tomatoes app, Weather report app and many more which were way too advanced and way too brilliant. I had a great time knowing how the hands and minds behind these apps work, live in action. ;-)

Also, if my Gift app gets published on Firefox Marketplace, I'll be placing my hands on one of these. Fingers crossed! :)


Ain't she a beauty?
[Firefox Keon by ZTE]

PS : I just forgot to mention the swags I got. To know them, come take part in the next Mozilla event.  

No comments:

Post a Comment